Google+ Baby Marohn: Update on Latest Glucose Test

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Update on Latest Glucose Test

Last week I had my second 1 hour glucose test, and the results are...I failed. The nurse called me yesterday, and told me to come in sometime this week for a 3 hour glucose test. Only problem is I have to be there between 8:30 and 9:00. That is quite early for someone who goes to sleep at 3 or 4 in the morning. If you are wondering what the 3 hour test is like, here is some information I found on Baby Center.


    For three days before the test, you'll be told to eat at least 150 grams of carbohydrate a day. If you eat a normal diet and have an extra piece of bread at each meal, you'll likely be getting enough carbs. For eight to 14 hours before the test, you can't eat or drink anything but sips of water (and you're not supposed to smoke or exercise either), so you'll want to schedule it for first thing in the morning.

    When you arrive for the test, the technician will take a blood sample to measure your "fasting blood glucose level" and then ask you to drink either a more concentrated dose or a larger volume of the glucose solution. Then brace yourself for three more arm pricks, as your blood is tested every hour for the next three hours. The technician should alternate arms each time she draws your blood.

    You'll definitely need something to distract you this time, because you'll have to stay seated in the waiting room between blood drawings. And bring something to eat right after your final blood sample is drawn because you'll probably be starving.

    If one of the readings is abnormal, you may have to take another test later in your pregnancy. Or your practitioner may ask you to make some changes in your diet and exercise routine. If two or more of your readings are abnormal, you'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes and you'll need to talk to your practitioner about a treatment plan. This chart shows the levels that the American Diabetes Association considers abnormal at each interval of the test:
    IntervalAbnormal reading
    Fasting95 mg/dl or higher
    One hour180 mg/dl or higher
    Two Hours155 mg/dl or higher
    Three hours140 mg/dl or higher


Pray all goes well.

1 comment :

  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower! I found you on Top Baby Blogs. I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    I'm so sorry you failed your first glucose screen. They made me do one early because they thought I was too overweight. I weight 200 which I admit is overweight but I din't think the early test was neccessary. Ugh...I hate going to the doctor. CONGRATS on the pregnancy though!!

    Also, I have several giveaways all for GORGEOUS handmade baby stuff so check them out of you come by. I'm guessing you would like them:)

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete