Google+ Baby Marohn: Birth Plan

Monday, August 16, 2010

Birth Plan

My birth plan is now finished. YAY!!!! I know some people will have problems with what I have requested, but that is a common occurrence here recently for me.

Here is a little of my birth plan...


Labor

  • I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
  • I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
  • I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
  • I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
  • I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
  • I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
  • I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
  • I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
  • Other Labor Preference: heperin/saline block is fine for IV

Monitoring

  • I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my baby.
  • I do not want an internal monitor unless my baby has shown some sign of distress.

Labor Augmentation/Induction

  • I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
  • I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods before Pitocin is administered.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

  • I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
  • Before considering an epidural, and if the situation warrants, I would like to try an injection of narcotic pain relief (Nubain, Demerol, Stadol or similar).

Cesarean

  • Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.

Immediately After Delivery

  • I would like to have my husband cut the cord.
  • I would like to hold my baby for at least 15 minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
  • I would like to have my baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
  • I plan to keep my baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my baby can be done with my baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
  • If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.

Postpartum

  • I would like a private room, if available.
  • Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
  • I would like to have my baby "room in" and be with me at all times.


Photo/Video

  • I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.

Other

  • I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.
  • Other Other Preference: I would like my support people to be present during labor but not delivery.
  • Other Other Preference: Only my husband is to be present for delivery.

No comments :

Post a Comment