Google+ Baby Marohn: World Breastfeeding Week

Monday, August 5, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week


World breastfeeding week started on August 1st, so I decided to do a post on my breastfeeding experience.  

To be honest, I have been struggling writing this post.  Why you may ask.  Well, I have been so afraid that I would offend someone who feeds with formula, that I was afraid to post my own words and feelings on my own blog/website.  Crazy right?  I do believe that every woman has the right to feed how they wish, however, I feel that breastfeeding is best.  Once again, if you are offended by my words, I am sorry, but this is my blog, and I have a right to say what I wish to say.  I am not a medical professional and below is me expressing what I have come to believe is right.  



It all started back in 2011.  (cue the flashback music...) After 36 hours in the hospital, delivering a beautiful baby girl, and going through a few complications, I was ready to let my daughter nurse for the first time.  I was so scared.  I had a less them helpful lactation consultant at the hospital, and I had no clue what I was doing.  I had reasearch everything since before I got pregnant, but there is nothing to prepare you for the first time you put that child to your breast.  And I struggled with it.  I struggled for a long time with latch, under supply, and postpartum complications.  However, I feel it has all been worth it. 

The research that I have read says that breastfed babies get sick less.  Well, I have found that to be true.  The "Goose" has been sick, but not as often as some of my formula feeding friend's babies.  In fact, studies have found that breast milk contains special germ-fighting ingredients that help keep harmful bacteria at bay.  Dr. Sears says this on his website:
Derrick and Patrice Jelliffe, pioneers in breastfeeding research, stated that breastfed infants are "biochemically different." This difference in body chemistry may be the reason they are healthier. While babies are breastfeeding, they have fewer and less serious respiratory infections, less diarrhea, and less vomiting. When breastfed babies do become ill, they are less likely to become dehydrated and need hospitalization.
I have really found this to be true.  Goose has had a couple of bouts of vomiting and diarrhea in her two short years.  Each time, I could not get her to drink from a cup or take a bottle of anything (including pedialyte).  I believe that breastfeeding kept us us out of the hospital, and kept her from becoming dehydrated.

In the years I breastfed my daughter (aka Goose), I got some comments that I was only doing this for my enjoyment and that I should just wean her.  We that is soooo not true.  While I believe that breastfeeding is best, I really did not enjoy it they way people think.  I enjoyed the closeness I had with my daughter.  I feel that I was sharing something with her that God gave me the ability to provide. I enjoyed our snuggle times, and the little fulfilled smile she would give me after she was done.  When I had to supplement with formula, I didn't get that same smile when she was done.  It was different.

You know, I just can't get past the fact that breast milk is perfect for YOUR baby.  Why fix what is not broken?  Did you know that there are over 100 ingredients in breast milk that formula companies just can not replicate?  Also, did you know that MOST formula is made from cow's milk?  You can click here to learn a lot more facts about breastfeeding.

It is my opinion, belief, mission, soap box, whatever you want to call it, that breastfeeding is what is best for my child.  I breastfed until Nora was ready to stop (2 years 4 months), and I do not regret one single minute.

Want some other resources on breastfeeding?  Here is you some more links.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding
http://kellymom.com/
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/index.php
http://womenshealth.gov/ItsOnlyNatural/Fitting-It-Into-Your-Life/10-things-moms-can-do-while-breastfeeding.html
http://www.llli.org/
http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

No comments :

Post a Comment