Google+ Baby Marohn: Green Virgin Products Soap Nuts Liquid Review

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Green Virgin Products Soap Nuts Liquid Review


One thing I absolutely hate is all the chemicals hidden in every day products that we use in our home.  I was reading a post from a mom last week of a baby who got into the Tide pods, he stopped breathing, and had to be rushed to the hospital and put on a ventilator (https://www.facebook.com/KellyBear17/posts/10203196465884796)!  This is not the only report of this either.  When googling "Tide Pods child" the first thing that popped up was "tide pods child DEATH".  Scary right?

I've even reviewed a product from Purex like the Tide Pods, and I had no clue what all the dangers where associated with them were.  I always make sure products are put out of reach of Goose, but there is always that "what if".  Like what if she got into them while we were shopping or while I was putting groceries away.  Then there is also the effect on the environment that I worry about as well.  That is why I've started switching more of our house hold products over to all natural non-toxic options.

I've had a hard time finding a laundry detergent that I really like and got the clothes clean.   I personally had not tried soap nuts before for a few of reasons.  1) The regular soap nuts, have to be placed in a bag in the wash. I tend to forget to put things like that back into the washer when the load is done.  2) You have to count how many washes you do with regular soap nuts.  And 3) I had no clue what soap nuts where.



Doing some research on Google (and on the back of the bottle once I received my soap nuts) , I was able to eliminate one of my concerns.  I found that soap nuts come from the Chinese Soap Berry Tree.  The berries that grow on this tree contain a natural chemical called saponin, which is a natural soap.

Green Virgin Products has come up with a solution that eliminated the other two reasons why I had not tried them.  They have a liquid version of soap nuts, so, there is no bag or counting required! Awesome right!?

I, personally, loved was how little of the soap nuts liquid you have to use.  If you have an HE front loading washing machine, all you need of the soap nuts is two pumps.  If you have a top loading machine, you will need a little more.  I used 3-5 pumps, and it worked great.  The price of Green Virgin Products Soap Nuts Liquid is $18.95 for an 8oz bottle.  Now, that might sound like a lot but each bottle does 120 HE loads! So that works out to about $0.16 per load. Not bad if you ask me.

Another thing I loved was that I didn't have to use any fabric softener.  Not really sure why it caused the clothes to be super soft.  I think it would still be ok to use the wool dryer balls, but I would stay away from liquid fabric softener and/or dryer sheets.  They are definitely not needed here.

There were a few things, however, that I found either a little annoying, or just didn't like.  First, when you are putting the pump on the bottle, it will take a little time and quite a bit of pressure on the top of it.  I was really afraid I was going to spill it everywhere, and yes I tried to screw it on, but it seemed like the pump was just a tad smaller than the opening of the bottle; not sure if that is normal or not for this product.  Next, if you drip any, it becomes super sticky on the bottle and what ever it gets on, so make a habit of whipping the pump after each use. Lastly, I wish it smelled a little better.  Not really much I can change there, just a wish.

Over all I really liked the soap nuts liquid from Green Virgin Products. The product cleaned my family's clothes just like any other toxic brand detergent would.

If you are thinking about trying soap nuts, I would recommend you check out Green Virgin Products and pick up a sample size (only does six loads) or an 8oz bottle to try out.  While you are there, check out their other awesome non-toxic products they have available.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments :

Post a Comment