Google+ Baby Marohn: Updated Birth Plan

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Updated Birth Plan

Dear Delivery Staff,
Please help me make the birth of Nora very clam, un-rushed, and unstressed. My husband, Michael, and I are planning to have an all natural child birth using the Bradley Method. Please make sure that Michael is available to me at all times during labor and delivery.

Labor:
  • During labor I would like to allow the following people into the room:
    • Michael Marohn (husband)
    • Linda Marohn (mother-in-law)
    • Sharon Terry (my mother)
    • Jamie Taylor (my sister)
    • Sarah Terry (my sister)
    • My Doula (if I decide to have one)
    • and my grandmothers if they so choose
  • If at all possible, I would like to be free to walk around and/or change positions during labor.
  • I would prefer fluids by mouth rather than I.V.
  • In the room, we would appreciate it if the lights where kept low, there was not a lot of distracting noises, and we were able to bring our own music to listen to.
  • My preference is not to have continuous I.V. Fluids.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication:
  • I am well aware that pain medications exist, but please do not offer them, I will ask for them if I need them.

Monitoring:
  • During labor, I would prefer not have have continuous fetal/contraction monitoring, and when I have to have this done, please allow to me lay on my side and not my back.
  • I do not want an internal fetal monitor.

Labor Augmentation/Induction:
  • If at all possible, please do not rupture the membranes, and if it must be done, please wait until at least 7 or 8 cm.
  • I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods before Pitocin or any other labor altering drug is administered.

Delivery:
  • During delivery, I would only like to have Michael and my doula present.
  • I would like to try different positions to give birth.
  • Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase. Also, please let me push on my own, and try not assist me with counting.
  • We would appreciate having the lights low.
  • I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery barring any complications.

Immediately After Delivery:
  • Michael would like to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating.
  • Please allow all procedures that the baby needs done in my presence.
  • If the baby must be taken from the room, I would like to have Michael be able to go with her.

Postpartum:
  • Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
  • I would like to have the baby “room in” with me at all times.

Breastfeeding:
  • I am planning on breastfeeding, and I would like to be able to breastfeed Nora shortly after birth.
  • Please do not give my baby any bottles of formula or water.
  • I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.

If there are any questions, and I am no position to make a decision, Michael is the only one who can make a decision for me.
Thank you so much for your help in making this a great birthing experience.

~Jennifer Marohn

No comments :

Post a Comment