Google+ Baby Marohn: The Little Mermaid and Why I Have "Issues" With It

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Little Mermaid and Why I Have "Issues" With It

A few months ago, my daughter "fell" in love with Ariel.  I am not sure if she really likes her or if she just likes her because my mother-in-law likes Ariel.  What ever the reason, we thought it would be good to get Goose the movie.  And as I sat there watching it with her, I realized that I really do have some issues with what's going on in this movie.

1.  Ariel does not listen to her father. As a parent, you want to keep your children safe.  In the underwater world in the Little Mermaid, Ariel is told directly by her father that it is unsafe and not acceptable to go to the surface.  It is also forbidden to talk and be seen by the humans.  Ariel disregards everything her father says!  She goes to the surface, and even falls in love with a human!  Now, I think he could have handled the situation a little better, but then again, she could have a little respect.

2.  Ariel looses her own identity.  When Ariel falls in love with Eric, she gives up all that she was, and completely transforms into the person Eric wants her to be.  In a relationship it is good to have like interests, and discover new activities that both of you like.  You should never forget who you are and where you come from.  In the movie, I feel that Ariel forgets that.

3.  THE CHILD IS ONLY 16!!!  Need I say more?  I mean really.  In the USA, I believe that you have to be 18 to legally marry (unless you have a parent's or court's consent).  Some countries it is a little different.  You can view those laws here.  I met my husband when I was 16, and we were married a few months after I turned 18.  I would have never EVER gotten married when I was 16, I was just too young and unsure about life.

4.  Ariel ran away from home!  When Ariel did not get her way, she decided to just leave home.  There was no going to her father to try and talk any more, no trying to just let things settle down, she just left home.  That is scary to me.  I don't want my daughter to think this is acceptable.  It would be best if we could talk things out, and let our feelings be heard.  It really makes me sad that Ariel felt this was the only way she could be happy.

Now, all that being said, I grew up watching The Little Mermaid, and I feel I turned out fine.  It's just as a parent, you take things like this and see them in a new light.  The movie does teach that we should accept others no matter who they are, but that message is kind of taken to the extreme.

If you have any comments, please feel free to reply, just remember I do not and will not feed the trolls.

1 comment :

  1. I agree. The little mermaid has horrible lessons. But that versionis actually nicer than the original version where the mermaid turns into seafoam.
    I loved the movie as a little girl but mainly because i thought ariel went on adventures and wanted to know about things beyond her own world. That is def a spirit i want my daughter to have. Without the whiny "but, daaadddy!" part. Lol. I hope she n i can have little adventures together. That and i already preordered Frozen which has a much better message.

    ReplyDelete